The growth of digital channels in our daily life has various impacts on the rise of digital media (web, mobile) in today's lifestyle has many repercussions on the techniques and processes that companies must use to reach their targets. Digital marketing thus designates the set of strategies to be implemented on digital media, in order to optimize:
- Acquisition and retention of new customers
- Promotion of products and services
- Development of brand awareness and branding
Digital marketing also commonly called online marketing refers to the set of marketing techniques used on digital media and channels. The term is likely to disappear as marketing tends to become "essentially digital".
Digital marketing mainly covers marketing applications linked to the "traditional" Internet, but also those related to mobile phones, tablets, GPS and other applications and connected objects. Mobile marketing (mobile sites + mobile applications) is becoming increasingly important.
The main fields and techniques of digital marketing are:
- email marketing
- display advertising
- search engine marketing (natural referencing + commercial links)
- web analytics (web analytics)
- Conversion and allocation issues
- content marketing
- social and viral marketing
- mobile marketing
Digital marketing can reach its target through digital media in a personalized way, with precise targeting of the actions to be carried out online. The convergence of tools allows any company to quickly distribute messages adapted to a captive population. What is important is the ability of brands to build their digital marketing strategies rationally and coherently. The term digital marketing has therefore been created to group together in one expression the set of strategies to be implemented on digital media that are communication vectors:
- SEM: Search engine marketing, or the strategy of promotion on search tools via natural search engine optimization, based on search engines and directories, by improving the positioning of a site and thus its visibility in their results pages or Commercial links and therefore a paid referencing.
- SMO: Social media optimization, or the use of social networks, blogs, video chains and information portals, to spread its messages to targeted populations and animate communities, important role of community management in strategies companies. This support is the one that today draws growth from the web and mobility upwards, by its viral and instant concept and allows companies to:
- Strengthens traditional communications media for new product launches
- Federate fans and exchange with consumers of the brand - Identify trends in fashion
-Listen to criticisms and remarks about the company and its products / services in order to correct its marketing mix
- Mobile marketing: Study and implementation of strategies on mobile media through adapted applications or media such as mobile sites.
- Buzz Marketing: Also called viral marketing, which consists of taking actions to improve the company's knowledge to the prospects / customers in order to improve or reposition its image or that of its products with a target audience.
This support positions the target at the heart of the relationship, becoming the main vectors of brand communication. The General Committee on Terminology and Neology advocates the use of "electronic word of mouth" to define this medium.